This is for reference only. Please seek dietitian's referral from doctor for individual counselling.
Potassium is an electrolyte in our body in our body. High blood potassium level may cause problems such as muscle paralysis, muscle paralysis, muscle paralysis, muscle paralysis, breathing difficulty, irregular heartbeat, and even fatal cardiac arrest.
Patients with high blood potassium level should avoid the following food items which are items which are items which are items which are very high in potassium content:
1. Vegetable group
- Lotus root, pumpkin, wolfberry/ medlar, spinach
2. FruitFruit group
- Durian, banana, mandarin orange/satsuma, grapefruit, nectarine, strawberry, peach, kiwi fruit, Chinese loquat, apricot, muskmelon (such as honeydew, hami melon, cantaloupes), papaya, guava, avocado
3. Beans and soy products, nuts and dried fruits
4. Milk and dairy products
5. Red rice, black glutinous rice, All-Bran, oatmeal, brown raisin bun, English muffin
6. Fungi- and algae-type of food such as monkey-head mushroom, black fungus/ cloud ear, black moss, shiitake mushroom, seaweed, snow fungus, laver, straw mushroom, oyster mushroom, button mushroom, enoki mushroom, lily flower (Consume small amount as side dish)
7. Strong tea, instant coffee, vegetable soup, Chinese medicinal herb/ Chinese herbal medicine, herbal soup, all fresh fruit juices
8. Bovril, Marmite
9. Salt substitute and salt substitute seasoning products (e.g. low-sodium soy sauce), curry powder, tomato sauce/ ketchup, tomato paste
10. Sugar syrup, brown sugar, malt syrup
1. Avoid star fruit because it contains toxic substances which may affect the nervous system in patients with kidney failure.
2. Many foods contain potassium, especially fruits and vegetables. However, patients should not avoid all fruits and vegetables, as they are rich in vitamins, anti-oxidant and dietary fibre, which cannot be replaced by other foods and is part of a healthy diet. In order to have a healthy diet whilst controlling potassium intake, patients should consuming fruits and vegetales with high potassium content. Vegetable soup should also be avoided as it contains large amount of potassium. Wash and soak all vegetables befor cooking, and use plenty of water during cooking in order to reduce potassium intake.